Friday, August 21, 2009

Final Days....

Well, it’s August 20th today.  Only a couple more weeks of summer and back-to-school chaos will be begin.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my summer having my kids up at the cabin with Kris & me. We haven’t really had to “share” them with anyone - teachers, friends, coaches, etc.  It’s been great just hiding up at our cabin as a family with no timelines, no schedules and just being able to be together.  I have never been one of those parents that “can’t wait for school to start”, in fact I dread it.  I usually tuck the boys in the night before the first day of school and then go grab a box of Kleenex and have a good cry.  Another summer in the photo album, and another bit of time with my kids stored away in the memory bank. I wish I could freeze time right now and keep my kids the age they are, where they don’t mind just hanging out with their Mom & Dad all summer.  We’ve been lucky, I have nephews up here that are not only family, but all my boys’ best friends so it has been a great summer for me and the kids.  I have done some photography throughout the summer, but not a lot.  I promised my boys this summer would be for them, and I have to say – I’ve kept that promise.  I’ve turned down a lot of photo shoots and weddings, but I have no regrets.  In a few years, when my kids don’t want to hang out with their mother....then I can book myself up like a crazy woman.  This summer I succeeded, maybe not as an owner of my own photography business – but certainly as a Mom.  This is my first summer where I wasn’t “working outside the home”.  In the past I worked part-time for City Hall so our summers revolved around my holidays.  I wondered if I would ever regret my decision to leave my great job at City Hall and venture out and start my own business. When Dylan & Danny hugged me the other day and said this was the best summer of their life, I knew right then and there I made the right decision.  Am I hurting my business by turning down jobs – likely – but am I doing what’s best for my kids – YES.  And that is all that really matters. 

 

Photography is a passion of mine, but my kids are my LIFE.  Have I put my photography somewhat on hold this summer – absolutely, but I don’t regret it one bit.  Not only has this been the best summer of my children’s lives....it’s also been the best summer of My Life.  Thank you Danny, Dylan & Jackson (and of course Kris for making all this to happen for us) – I am so blessed to have you in my life. 

 

Enjoy the last few weeks of summer everyone.....and keep on capturing those memories. 

JL

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop