Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 28


"Small Town Hero"

So, today was Jon Montgomery Day in Russell, Manitoba. In case you've been living under a rock this past month, Jon Montgomery won Gold at the Olympics in the Skeleton. He hails from Russell, Manitoba so when he came "home" the town of Russell threw him a homecoming like you've never seen before! Our cabin is fifteen minutes from Russell so we decided to take in the festivities. It was a great day and the boys were thrilled to see this Olympic Hero in person.

It was a cold afternoon so we headed back to the cabin and didn't bother to fight the crowds to get an autograph from Jon. As the day progressed, my son Dylan started feeling crappy. I made the decision to stay at the cabin one more night so he could get a good rest. Jackson, Dylan and I drove into Russell at about 7:00 p.m. as I needed cough syrup for him. As I was driving past the community centre I saw that Jon Montgomery was still there, signing the last of thousands of autographs. I hear he had sat outside for over three hours signing things for people. I parked the car and took Jack & Dyl up to meet him. To say Dylan was thrilled is an understatement. He shrieked "this is the best day of my life"! He hadn't been feeling well all day, so I was happy to see that toothless grin on his face.

So, for my Day 28....it is not an artistic picture, it's not even a perfect shot, but it is a picture of a small town hero who managed to light up my little seven-year old's little face....and to me, that makes it a GREAT picture.

Thanks JON MONTGOMERY....for being a real Canadian Olympic Hero.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop