Friday, January 7, 2011

A New Year....

So, it's 2011. I'm not going to lie to you, I was seriously depressed by the ending of 2010. OK, not seriously depressed,but a bit blue. 2011 is the year my youngest will start Kindergarten. Yes, I know....that's months away, but it's a year I have had marked in my brain since he was born. My children are my life, truly.  Is that a bit extreme? Maybe.  Do I make apologies for that? No.  I love having them home with me. I love the spontaneous hugs, the "I love you Mom's" and simply having them play at my feet while I work. However, the older they get, the less the hugs come, there are fewer "I love you Mom's" and I find they prefer to be in another room than me sometimes. (hmmmm, I wonder why?) It's sad actually. I makes me yearn for those days where I had a five, three and newborn all to myself in my home. Oh I know, I'm blessed that I have three healthy, young boys who are given the opportunity to grow and thrive....I know that. But it doesn't make watching them grow up any easier on me. The selfish me wants to give them all a needle and freeze time. Hey - I'm honest! But the realist in me remembers the quote I love...."the two greatest things you can give your children...one is roots, the other wings". So enough about my children growing up, I think you all know how I feel about that!

2011 is gearing up to be another busy year for Memories by Me Photography. I am shocked by the amount of email and phone inquiries I am getting about weddings! Congratulations to all of you who have recently become engaged. I am however, booked for 2011 in the wedding department (thank you to all my 2011 brides & grooms). I know of some fabulous photographers though, so if you want any referrals, please email me.

Do any of you make New Year's Resolutions? I say I do, but I never keep them. This year I hope to live a healthier life - not in a weight loss kind of way, but in a physical AND emotional kind of way. I'd love to eat better, but those darn potato chips are constantly calling my name. I will try though, I promise. I also hope to work less. Last year was insane, and unfortunately my kids suffered because of it. OK, they didn't "suffer", but they were not first on my priority list all the time, and that is plain not right!  I was not as busy as other photographers I know, but I was too busy for what I can handle considering my other obligations in my life. I found myself working extremely late nights, and still trying to be a full-time Mom throughout the day. I was burning myself out and I made a promise to myself that I would not do that again. Priorities Jodi!!! So this year, I am setting hours in the day that I will commit to photography. I am also setting "office hours" so to speak with regards to answering work phone calls. I found a lot of people would call in the evenings or I would return calls in the evenings and I would be spending my time talking away to clients when I should have been reading a book to my kids, or just being "present" in their life. So, essentially, I will take calls during normal business hours, and return calls during normal business hours. 

And a note to my future and present clients....when I am talking to you on the phone and you hear a child, or two saying "Mom? Mom? Mom?", it is just part of my business.  My office is my home.  My kids live in my home and therefore they are often around when I'm conducting business on the phone or otherwise.  If you come to my home studio for a session, I can't promise you that my children won't be here.  It is what it is and that is how I do business.  Some may disagree, but they are part of the package when being photographed by me. I do not take them on-location, but I do keep them home most of the time for studio appointments.   I may have to excuse myself to break up a fight, kiss a boo boo or refill a drink....but I promise to come back! LOL! 

Anyhow, I'm rambling, but another "resolution" or "thing I plan to do" this year is to blog more. I find putting my thoughts out there on life, photography or whatever is on my mind is kind of therapeutic. I don't know if anyone even reads my blogs, but it just feels good to write sometimes! I have actually found second to photography that I love to write.  I plan to do more of that!

Anyhow, enough of my ramblings...I will sign off now. I wish all of you nothing but love and laughter and happily ever after in 2011!

I'm attaching some of my favourite pictures of my boys from 2010!







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop