Sunday, April 25, 2010

Day 70


"Childhood Memories"

I took the boys home (Grandview) this weekend to take in my Uncle Brian's farm sale as well as celebrate my Grandpa's 88th birthday. We spent the weekend outside on my Uncle's farm and my kids had so much fun playing around the machinery, running through the fields, and basically getting dirty on Friday & Saturday. Watching them play amongst all the farm equipment brought back so many memories of my childhood.

I grew up on a farm....my Dad farmed, my Uncles farmed and my Grandpa farmed. I never knew men did anything but farm! My memories are not of watching movies, playing video games, etc. My memories are doing what my kids did this weekend - running around on the farm and getting dirty. I have very fond memories of my family working on the farm. My older brother and I used to go out in the grain trucks and take part in Harvest. I never had to "work" on the farm....my older brother took care of that. But, I'd often go along for the ride. He and I used to drive around in the old red grain truck. I remember playing in the grain in the back of that grain truck with him....when it was full of grain! Man was that itchy. Anyhow, I got to wondering where that grain truck ended up. My Uncle Randy informed me it was at his place (which used to be my Grandpa's) behind the old duggout.

On my way back to Oakville today, I took my kids over to my Grandpa's old place and found that grain truck. I told them all about how Lance & I used to drive around in that old thing. They thought it was pretty "cool". The old "LLoyd Maxwell & Sons" sign was still on the truck. It's pretty rusty, but I thought it would make for a cool photo so I took a few pictures.

I am so grateful for the childhood I was fortunate enough to have. I am even more grateful that my kids, through the remaining farms in my family, are still able to experience some of the memories I had when I was a kid.

Here is Day 70......

1 comments:

ntaly said...

As I said on Facebook I really love this one ! :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop