Monday, September 13, 2010

These are the moments....

Sometimes my life can get so crazy-busy that I forget to take time to just take in a moment. I have been trying to get my house organized after being away pretty much all of the summer. On top of that, I have been extremely busy with my photography so I have been spending more time than I (or my kids) would like sitting on my laptop. I had a 1000+1 things to accomplish today, but going for a picnic by the river with Jack was far more appealing!

I have this note on my fridge that was given to me around the time Jack was born by my Step-Grandma Lois.  She had hand-written it in a card.  I'm not sure where she found it, or if it was something she wrote.  Regardless, it has been on my fridge for four years now and it is the one thing that never gets removed, it likely never will.  There is no more sleeping baby, or soiled diapers, but the message still rings true for me and the note will likely stay there for many more years to come.  I thought I would share it with all of you.

Today I left the dishes dirty,
the beds got made around 3:30.
The diapers soaked a little longer,
the odor grew a little stronger.
The crumbs I spilled the day before,
are staring at me from the floor.
The fingerprints there on the wall,
will likely be there till next fall.
The dirty streaks on those window panes,
will still be there next time it rains.
Shame on you, you sit and say,
just what did I do today?

I held my baby till he slept.
I held my four year old while he wept.
I played a game of hide and seek.
I squeezed a toy so it would squeak.
I pulled a wagon, sang a song.
I taught my son right from wrong.
What did I do this whole day through?
Not much that shows, I guess that's true.
Unless you think that what I've done,
might be important to someone,
with sea blue eyes and shiny hair...
if that's true - I've done my share.

"The work will wait while you show your child the rainbow, the rainbow won't wait while you do the work."

Here are some pictures of Jack enjoying his Mom and Me time.....

JL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy...tear jerker. I was planning on having one of these days today actually. I'm packing up a picnic and taking the boys down to goose lake for a picnic once it warms up a little. Thanks for the inspiration to make sure I do it!!
Leslie

Jenny Schrader Dufresne said...

So sweet your Step Gramma was one wise cookie,seems as the years pass we miss holding our lil ones we watch them grow into young men or women taking the sidelines as they make their mark in the world yet being there if & when they ever need us.And as that time passes we enter & exit each phase of our lives always seeing the lil one in the grown up ones,until a new lil one captures our hearts & we become grandparents. :)

Bravo to you for making the moments & chasing that rainbow. xox

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop