Friday, May 14, 2010

Why I love where I live.....

When I married my husband, we chose to live in Portage la Prairie, where he grew up and where he runs his own business. While Portage is a very nice City, I longed for "wide-open spaces".  I grew up on a farm and my childhood was spent bike-riding with our neighbours, exploring old houses and everything else that goes with being a "farm kid".  I knew when I had my first child that I had to raise them in the country.  I told my husband that by the time Danny was ready to enter school, I "needed" to be living on an acreage somewhere.  My husband is a city boy - through and through.  We've had some hilarious moments with him on my Dad's farm, but he has also grown to love country life.  When my oldest son was four years old an opportunity came for us to trade houses with a gentleman in Oakville.  He wanted to move to the City and we wanted to move to the Country.  It was ideal, so we switched houses. 

This June will mark five years living on our acreage in Oakville. It was truly the best decision we've ever made.  We live on the end of a country road so we don't worry about traffic, and the farmers that farm the land around our home know our boys so they're always careful coming and going.  My boys have the childhood I was blessed to have.....wide open spaces!  Here is a picture of Jack on the run and looking at this picture makes me so thankful for where I live!

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

Heavenly! Born & bred a city girl myself, I have always enjoyed the country & wanted to live on acreage myself, but circumstances have not allowed it...yet...you just never know, lol.

It's wonderful that you have had your dream come true & I'm sure your boys will have great memories all their lives. Hugs Jacquie

Jodi Lee said...

Thank you Jacquie! I could tell when you were here that you really are "a country girl at heart"! It's never too late..... ;)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop